Do You Know What To Do in a No Heat Emergency?
Written on: December 27, 2021
You wake up one cold winter morning in your New England home and find that it’s not just cold outside but inside. Oh no! You have no heat! In the dead of winter, this is an emergency. Do you know what to do?
Before you call the pros, there are a few things you can try yourself that may get your heating system back up and running again. If all those steps fail, there’s still no need to panic. Lombardi Energy & Gas repairs boilers and furnaces. (We can also install a high-efficiency heating system if it’s time for you to upgrade.) No matter what you need, we’ll be there to get your home warm and comfortable again.
How to Handle a No Heat Emergency
If the heat in your home isn’t coming up on a cold winter day, take the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check how much heating oil you have. If you have less than 1/8 of a tank, call Lombardi Energy & Gas immediately for a heating oil delivery. If you have more than 1/8 of a tank, go to step 2.
- Set your thermostat’s temperature to at least five degrees warmer than the current room temperature. (You might also need to set your thermostat to “auto” or “heat” and the fan switch to “on” or “auto.”) If your heating system doesn’t start up after a few minutes, go to step 3.
- Confirm that all your system’s power switches are set to the “on” position. If they are, go to step 4.
- Check your fuses and circuit breakers. If everything is as it should be, go to step 5 if you have a boiler and step 6 if you have a furnace or heat pump.
- If you have a hot water boiler, go to step 7. If you have a steam boiler, check the water level in the gauge glass. It should be at least ½ full. If it is, go to step 7.
- If you have a furnace or heat pump, make sure your filters are clean and all vents are open an unobstructed. But before you check the filters, make sure to turn off the system’s power. Confirm that the gas control valve to the furnace is open. If everything is as it should be, go to step 7.
- Press and hold the “reset” button on the burner for 3 seconds. Important: Never push this button more than once. If your heat still doesn’t come on, it’s time to contact Lombardi Energy & Gas Energy for service.
Tips for Statying Warm Without Heat
While you wait for service, do everything you can to get and keep as much heat as possible in your New England Home. Try the following:
- Open any curtains that will let in sunlight. Close any curtains that won’t.
- Do your best to block any drafts that might be coming in through windows and doorways. For example, you can hang blankets over your doorways.
- Start using any secondary heating options you have in your home like space heaters or fireplaces. Don’t try to use your oven or stove to heat your home. And don’t bring any outdoor equipment inside to heat your home. That could lead to a dangerous (potentially deadly) build-up of carbon monoxide.
You can avoid some no-heat emergencies by signing up for automatic delivery with Lombardi Energy & Gas. Automatic deliveries are the best way to avoid having a heating oil run out.
Lombardi Energy & Gas delivers comfort and peace of mind to our customers in Amesbury, Byfield, Merrimac, Newbury, Newburyport, Salisbury, Seabrook, West Newbury, and surrounding areas. Click here to see if we serve your Massachusetts or New Hampshire neighborhood.
Are you ready to become part of the Lombardi Energy & Gas family? Contact us today to sign up for automatic delivery or to learn more. We’re here to help.