Save Energy While on Vacation
Written on: August 22, 2022
5 Tips for Lowering Your Energy Costs
If you’re planning a summer get-away, almost every part of it is going to cost you more than it would have a year or two ago. Everything from gas to airline tickets to car rentals prices has increased this year. Lombardi Energy Services offers pricing and payment programs that fit a range of budgets. If you sign up for our budget plan, we’ll estimate your heating costs and divide it into 12 equal payments. If you sign up for our fixed pricing plan, you can lock in a predetermined per gallon price. We also offer a discount to customers who pay promptly.
Our pricing and payment plans can help you stay in control of your budget all year long. Want to save on your energy costs while you’re away on vacation? We can help you with that as well. Here are our five tips for saving energy (and money) while you’re away on vacation.
5 Money-Saving Tips
Add the following five items to your pre-vacation checklist, and you could save a significant amount of money on energy costs while you’re away. Every bit counts.
- Adjust the temp on your AC. Don’t waste money and energy keeping an empty home cool. Set the temperature on your AC to 85 degrees Fahrenheit for the duration of your trip. If you have a programmable thermostat with a calendar feature, you can change the settings for the dates you’ll be away and set your regular settings to resume a few hours before your return. That way you’ll save energy, but you’ll also come home to a comfortably cool home. Want to save money after your vacation is over? Schedule a maintenance visit for your AC system. A well-maintained system lasts longer and runs more efficiently. And efficiency saves you money.
- Adjust the temp on your water heater. Heating water can account for up to 30% of your home’s energy costs. There’s no need for your water heater to work as hard when no one is home. Many water heaters have a vacation setting. If yours doesn’t, set the temperature to 70 degrees Fahrenheit before you leave on vacation. Lombardi Energy Services also provides water heater maintenance and repair.
- Unplug energy-sucking appliances. We call certain appliances “energy vampires,” because they suck up energy even when they’re not being used. Unplug anything with a digital display or indicator light or that is usually on standby mode rather than completely off. Here are some things you can unplug: coffee makers, toasters, miscellaneous kitchen appliances, chargers, power strips, TVs, washers & dryers, computers, printers, clocks, radios, virtual assistants, and gaming consoles. If you aren’t planning to record shows on your DVR, you can also unplug your modems, routers, and cable boxes too.
- Make use of timers and motion sensors. Unplugging your appliances will help you save on your energy bill, but you don’t want to unplug everything. A home that is always dark can attract burglars. For some cost-effective ways to deter burglars, add motion sensors to you outdoor lighting and put a few indoor lights on timers.
- Close your blinds and curtains. This is a good money-saving habit to keep when you’re back from your trip as well. Close your home’s blinds and curtains to the sun. That will put less demand on your AC. It’s also a good safety measure because outsiders won’t be able to see into your home.
Let Lombardi Oil & Gas Deliver for You!
Lombardi Oil & Gas delivers comfort and peace of mind to our customers in Amesbury, Byfield, Merrimac, Newbury, Newburyport, Salisbury, Seabrook, West Newbury, and surrounding areas. Click here to see if we serve your Massachusetts or New Hampshire community.
Contact us today to sign up for automatic delivery, to enroll in one of our payment plans, or to learn more.